1. She’s got true grit! Some seriously hard work and determination was involved in the journey from working in a fish factory to having a net worth of £30million. As she puts it:
“I do believe sometimes discipline is very important. I’m not just lying around like a lazy cow all the time.”
2. She’s got courage in spades. Never afraid to stand alone, walk her own path and face down the detractors and mockers with dignity, the strength of her authenticity shines out of her like a lighthouse. Being unafraid to self-express is something that takes guts and she’s clearly had them all her life:
“When I was a teenager in Iceland people would throw rocks and shout abuse at me because they thought I was weird.”
3. Her unquenchable curiosity makes her a fascinating person. Exemplified by her countless collaborations and the myriad, diverse influences she’s drawn on throughout her career. From this attribute of her character we can take some timeless advice: If you want to be interesting, be interested!
4. She’s a true artist. If you had to chose a single word to sum this wonder-woman up it would have to be ‘creative.’ Her music videos, her song-writing ability, the way she harnesses in the most expressive and unique ways, it seems everything she does is done with a degree of artistry. The 2014 full scale retrospective of her work at New York’s Museum of Modern Art acknowledges that as well as a musician, she is an accomplished and influential artist.
5. Her voice! So many things all at once – her two octave, seven semi-tone soprano singing voice is unique, powerful, womanly, fragile, childlike, melodious, abrasive and above all… BEAUTIFUL.
Bjork we love you! Who inspires you?